Thursday, April 30, 2009

Does experience at Microsoft make for a good politician?

State Rep. Ross Hunter, a former Microsoft general manager, announced today that he's running for King County Executive, competing against four other candidates for the position. He's one of many former Microsofties now in the political arena -- and he's pointing to his experience at the Redmond company as a major selling point 

"I think I bring something that those other guys don't have a lot of, which is private-sector management experience," Hunter said during a radio interview with KUOW-FM's Ross Reynolds today.

"I was a general manager at Microsoft. I was there 20 years -- 17 years. We changed the world there. Learned how to do management there. Microsoft brings something to the table that our region is short of, I think, which is impatience. I've had to temper my personality in order to be effective in the Legislature, but I have a level of impatience for solving problems that I think is not as evident in the other candidates."

Other former Microsoft managers in politics include Suzan DelBene, the former Windows Mobile executive now challenging Rep. Dave Reichert -- who previously fought off two challenges from another former Microsoftie, Darcy Burner.

At any rate, it will be interesting to hear what people -- particularly Microsoft employees -- think of Hunter's comments. Does management experience at Microsoft really help someone become a good political or government leader?




READ MORE and COMMENT, more 

No comments:

Post a Comment