Sunday, August 2, 2009

How one simple app converted a Windows Mobile geek to iPhone

KEVIN LISOTA: I have always been a bit of a gadget freak. My house and office are loaded with technology, including multiple PCs and home servers, camera equipment, home audio, home theater and mobile devices.

Perhaps there was no better demonstration of my “gadget-nature” than when I was a product manager for Windows Mobile at Microsoft. I was on the Windows Mobile team from 2002-2004 and responsible primarily for encouraging software developers to develop applications for Windows Mobile smartphones and Pocket PCs.

Those were early, early times in the smartphone market, and Microsoft was a brand-new entrant. I was one of the very first users of the Pocket PC Phone back in 2002 and was also around when we launched the first Windows-powered smartphone. The software and hardware at that time were definitely v1 and very rough around the edges. I remember carrying a prototype smartphone to events that measured its battery life in minutes, not hours.

more 

No comments:

Post a Comment