Tuesday, August 4, 2009

REI's iPhone app for cyclists is surprising, but not in a good way

DL BYRON, BikeHugger.com: At a summer cocktail party last week, a developer of Windows Mobile applications asked me which apps I use on my iPhone. His company was considering getting into the iPhone business. Actually, not that many, I explained, because so many of them are just not that good. I work on my iPhone -- tweeting, blogging, emailing and organizing -- and don't have time for every new "there's an app for that."

The developer was a cyclist, as well, and eventually asked me which bikes apps I use. My phone is in my jersey pocket on rides and I've got other computers on board for my miles, speed, and power. They work very well. I had installed REI's recently released Bike Your Drive on my iPhone (iTunes link), even though I hadn't used it yet. The app lets cyclist track, view, and share their bicycling experiences. I pulled out my phone and demoed the app for the developer. Together we discovered it's also not that good.

more 

No comments:

Post a Comment